Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Dirty Dishes



I am one of those people who always has more that one project going on at once. I normally have one BIG project, but I tend to get bored...even if I love it. So, I always have some sort of itty-bitty-easy-peasy-super-quick project as well. Just to get me through the rough patches. For the longest time, it was baby hats. However, recently, I have discovered the crocheted dishcloth. It all started when I spotted this gorgeous skein of Peaches n' Cream that was calling my name.


Yarn: Sara...Sara...Sara...
Me: What?! Oh...you're a pretty little thing!
Yarn: Thank you! You should take me home.
Me: Sorry, I don't have any use for you.
Yarn: People often knit dishcloths with me.
Me: I don't knit dishcloths.
Yarn: But you LOVE to knit!
Me: I don't knit dishcloths.
Yarn: They are quick and easy!
Me:
I don't knit dishcloths.
Yarn: You...could...um...crochet one. Yes! That's it! Crochet one! Didn't your Aunt DeeAnne give you a lovely crocheted dishcloth?
Me: Oh, yes. She is so sweet. And it is just the best dishcloth!
Yarn: There you go! You could make one just like it.
Me:I've already got dishcloths.
Yarn: Isn't your son always complaining that the current dishcloths are too small for his giant 16 yr. old man hands?
Me: Yes, but...
Yarn: And wouldn't I make your kitchen look just lovely?
Me: Certainly, but...
Yarn: Much better than that old thing you've got in there now!
Me: It is getting rather dingy.
Yarn: Can't you just see me? Draping over the faucet...LOvely. Cleaning the dishes...loVEly. Covered in soap bubbles...loveLY!
Me: You would look nice wiping off the table...
Yarn: And look! I only cost $1.47! That's like pocket change! You could make a whole bunch. Like one for each day of the week. That would be a clean dishcloth every day. You'd never have to have an old, dirty dishcloth hanging in your kitchen sink ever again.
Me: Hmm...The Mythbusters did say that the kitchen sponge is the dirtiest/germiest spot in the house.
Yarn: Dirtier than the toilet seat!
Me: You might be on to something here.
By buying you, I would be protecting my family from evil bacteria just waiting to infect them with horrible diseases!
Yarn: Exactly!
Me: And dishcloths are very eco-friendly.
Yarn: Green is the new black!
Me: So I wouldn't only be saving my family from bacteria...I'd be saving the entire planet from certain doom!
Yarn: You'd be like Wonder Woman!




Sara's Aunt DeeAnne Dishcloth

Once I really looked at it, I realized my aunt's dishcloth was just a basic v-stitch pattern. My dishcloth (and, therefore, this pattern) is 15 v-stitches wide and about 23 v-stitches tall, or about 11"x11". Remember, I had those 16 yr. old man hands to consider. If a dainty dishcloth is more your style, simply chain less stitches to start with. It just needs to be a multiple of 3, plus 4.

Yarn: I used 1 skein of Peaches n' Cream. But really you could use whatever you felt like.
(I personally like cotton for dishcloths. I don't really have a reason why. And the little skeins of Peaches n' Cream are so cute!)

Hook: I used a US size G/6-4.25mm
(Experiment with different hooks until you get a result you like. My Aunt's dishcloth was crocheted with a smaller hook and has a tighter feel. I just wasn't having any fun crocheting that tightly, so I went up a few sizes!)


Gauge: Not important. It's a dishcloth.

  • Chain 49 stitches.
  • Row 1: In the 5th chain from the hook, *work 1 double crochet(dc), chain 1, and work another dc into the same stitch as the previous dc (one v-stitch made). Skip the next 2 stitches. Repeat from the * across the row making (14) more v-stitches until only 2 stitches remain. Skip 1, and work 1 dc in the last stitch. Chain 3 and turn your work over.
  • Row 2: Skip the first space, and in the next space *work 1 dc, chain 1, and work another dc (v-stitch) into the same space. Skip the next space. Repeat from the * until the last space and work 1 dc. Chain 3 and turn your work over. (You want your v-stitches to be stacked on top of one another, so you are working your v-stitches between the "legs" of the v-stitches in the previous row.)
  • Repeat Row 2 until you run out of yarn, or until your dishcloth has reached your desired length.
  • Weave in the ends.

Great Hera! That is one gorgeous dishcloth! (Now if I could just get my son to actually use it!)



(This is the original that my aunt crocheted. Hers is a bit smaller than mine and she worked a cute single crochet border around the edge. )

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Should I be worried that yarn is talking to you?

Charis said...

wow! you blogged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love aunt dee dee. . . your son is sixteen!?! are you sure!?! man time flies!!!!!!! i think you should knit my baby a hat!!!!!! :) vanilla soy milk is what i used. . . way too sweet!!!!!!